Warming up with Walker

The time is approaching with a gentle, bittersweet tread. We've sold our cottage in Kent (Yes, I can hardly believe it either! I don't want to talk about it too much, in case it muddies the waters and messes up the exchange of contracts), and we're shedding unnecessary belongings, via:

  • e-bay 
  • Oxfam (A lot of sacks went here, due to Kevin having a bit of clear out of his collection of XL tee-shirts!)
  • family members who have been using our spare bedroom as storage
  • the bin

We're on our way, France! Have a swift Ricard or two before we arrive, as Kevin will be unleashing his new French words on you and yours. It will hurt you a bit. It hurts me.

But let me speak of more pleasant things! It is time to immerse myself back into rural France through the pages of Martin Walker's latest Bruno novel... Ah, what bliss! And to whet my appetite, the Sunday Times published an article this week on British crime-writers based in the Dordogne. Look:



The magnifying glass is part of the article, not my own little seeing aid resting on the paper.



So... it turns out that the fictional town of St Denis is based on the town of Le Bugue. I didn't know that, but I had spent a fair amount of time previously tracing the course of the River Vezere, trying to pinpoint exactly where it was. Thank you Sunday Times for letting the chat out of the sac! This means I will have to make a visit there within my first fortnight of Francedom. Can't wait!

And here is the new book:

 The stories so far:



Mr Walker seems to have adopted a tougher, broody look for his new book's dust jacket, wearing, in fact, a tombraider-esque dusty jacket. I'd become used to seeing him in his panama hat, smiley smile and denim shirt. He's retained the denim edge, I see!

I have a seed of an idea about crime-writing. I'll water it a bit and get back to you soon.

Comments

  1. Wow! - the Kindle version is double price at the moment at a shade under a tenner. By contrast the first Bruno book is 99p but comes with the warning that you will be hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I didn't order it now. Double checking, "The Dying Season" isn't the latest book. It's a renamed version of a previous book called "The Patriarch". The next Bruno book is "Fatal Pursuit" which according to fantasticfiction.co.uk is due in June 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes... I knew that. Martin Walker has expressed his frustration at that. He blames the UK publishers; he would prefer it to be called The Patriarch... that was his intention.
    But, I didn't know there was yet another book in the pipeline! Whoopee! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. With apologies to anyone in the profession "marketing" but I blame them and still think that Douglas Adams had the right plan for them...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The tower finds itself in high demand

The sad ending we never expected to see

Renavoidance?