Good! Rain is EXACTLY what I wanted! (I don't suppose weather responds to reverse psychology...)

The temperature in the pool rose to 20 degrees Celsius last week, but I won't immerse myself in its pH-balanced depths until it's 25. Unless the temperature outside the pool is 30+ degrees. But that won't be for a while yet. Our weather can't make up its mind, and I remember that, despite my bitter disappointment and disgruntlement, this is the case every April/May. It rains incessantly and green stuff grows with increased spite. So I need to stop talking about it. I'm thinking of deleting everything I've written so far, as I don't want to talk about it.

But, look! What IS this?!



Not good enough, France!

It rained so hard last night that the swimming pool, which was previously filled to the second tile down, is now virtually overflowing! Look!




We finally got round to installing windows in the previously glassless holes in our bedroom wall, but removing the stickers on both sides of the window proved to be the trickiest part! We had to resort to using a Stanley blade where nail polish remover failed. What was the sticker-fixer thinking of? The installation isn't complete yet; we need to repair the side walls and create a sill. And fill around the outer frame. There was a minor bee incident: Kevin unearthed (literally) two sleeping bees. Being huge bee-fans, we gently removed them and relocated them outdoors.*




As if we didn't have enough to do, we found ourselves agreeing to help Farmer Joel plant 30,000 potatoes. Actually, we were very happy to lend a hand, as he's always there to help us. Initially, I imagined I would be walking along behind the tractor carrying a huge sack, tossing potatoes into a furrow, but technology saved me from this potentially fatal medieval exertion. The trailer contraption offered a ride worthy of any seaside funfair! The two five-hour sessions felt like just a couple of hours. 



The old potato sacks were offered as the height of farming cushiony comfort. It transpired that it was in actual fact just a way to stop the sacks blowing away. And it meant we were equipped to gather all of our dropped potatoes.

The blue hopper contained a fine white powder which Joel told us was insecticide. It delivered tiny doses along the furrow via rubber tubing. We asked if it might be harmful for us to inhale. Joel said no. I believe him.

Kevin and I had a floaty seat each with a rotating blue potato mill between our legs. All one has to do is put a potato from the floaty tray into each slot. The potatoes in the tray were replenished after a 'there and back'. Kevin and I enjoyed the chance to sit and chat while carrying out a compelling repetitive task in the sunshine. You do have to keep your hands quick and nimble throughout, and there's no opportunity for a quick look at the scenery. There were moments of anguish when a potato was dropped, as we knew Joel would spot it on the way back and be disappointed. As it happened, Joel declared that potato-dropping was 'normal', and all dropped potatoes were picked up and properly planted afterwards. By us.






Farmer Joel has since ploughed a large plot on our top field to supplement our little kitchen garden and we've now planted our own potato crop (the old-fashioned way!) along with green beans, sunflowers, spinach and corn. With much more to come! My seeds are starting to sprout...



The tomatoes in individual pots were given to me by Sue. She does this every year, and the ones she gives me always produce the best crop. She 'brings them on' in a heated propagator, and this clearly makes all the difference. The raspberries are a recently acquired, excitedly anticipated, fruity treasure! Yes, those are Magnum lolly sticks. Double Caramel mostly.

There are rogue clods of grass yet to be removed by fierce raking. It's tiring work so we've only managed to clear about half of it so far. The more it rains, the more the clods give themselves away, so let it pour!



Bovine neighbours and wildflowers











Aeroplane with moon and sun



Yes, it does look a bit moony, but it was the sun through hazy cloud. See?


There was a second minor bee incident this week. I went to paint the downstairs loo window, only to discover that a little bee had nibbled out the filler from one of the drainage holes and inserted himself inside the hole. When I approached with a paintbrush, he came out, reprimanded me by way of two circles of my head, and flew off. I've left the hole open in case he wants to return.






Weekly outing

On Easter Sunday, we went for a walk around the picturesque lake at Vigeois with Sue and Steve (and Foxy).






There was something on the walk that wasn't picturesque. What do you think about this little lot? Goodness knows why it's there! 









I appreciate that someone (possibly a class of local children) has put in a lot of effort to produce this lakeside wonder, but... 

The theme isn't consistent or recognisable. 

It's not constructed on the same scale.

If I'm honest, I probably couldn't do any better. However, if I were*** asked to improve it, I would lean towards leaving just the little tower and bridge.




* I really wish this was** true. What actually happened was that Kevin opened the window and threw them out. I'm sure they'll be fine. We honestly are big bee fans. If you remember, we went on a beekeeping course last year in Confolens. I really hope THEY don't read this!

** Yes, I know that this should be 'were', but doing this sort of thing can sometimes seem a bit too grandiose. Using words like 'grandiose' is also a bit too grandiose. I actually wanted to say 'poncey', but that seemed too vulgar.

*** Doesn't seem to be quite so poncey here...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The tower finds itself in high demand

The sad ending we never expected to see

Renavoidance?