Some like it hot!

I expect you've been wondering where I am, as I've not posted a blog for over three weeks now. I'll be perfectly honest with you: I started a blog about my courgette plants and my terrace which was to be presented in the form of photos showing the growth of both over a period of two weeks. I know. Deathly dull! Luckily for you, I thought better of it. I realised that you already knew that courgette plants grow quickly, and, if you read my blog regularly, you already know that I'm documenting the snail-pace construction of what I now call 'the bloomin' terrace'. 

The difficulty is that I've been so busy with the potager and the bloomin' terrace, that I've not been out and about taking stunning photos of the south west corner of France. Well, I have actually been out to some marvellous places, but I've taken quick snaps with my phone and posted them on Instagram. That's not being unfaithful. Not at all! This blog is about my renovation, so too many photos of old churches, big flowers and French markets can become tiresome for my main fanbase. I know that.

Discussing the weather, however, is definitely not off topic. Especially when we've been knocked flat by a ridiculous heatwave. It's called a canicule here, and that's a word I've grown to like. No word of a lie, it was around 45 degrees Celsius in the shade for over a week! The temperature on the terrace literally went off the scale, so it was over 50 degrees Celsius. Spitefully, the swimming pool allowed itself to get up to 40 degrees Celsius; this rendered our only escape from the heat null and void. Our refreshing dip turned out to be a very hot bath. Canicule ridicule!


The bulk of our free time since my last blog has involved eating with friends, seeing Rocketman at the tiny Uzerche cinema*, cruising around brico stores, watching women's World Cup football, trawling vide greniers, horse-racing at Pompadour and golf.

My sunflowers are starting to do their thing!

I lost my €2 on every single race...
And here's just a little peep at half of the terrace. I still have a bit to do, but, at last, I'm nearly there!

My cement mixer looks utterly defeated...
More titillating tales from the terrace coming soon!







* It cost €4 per person and a bottle of water was 50 cents. That'd never happen in England.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The tower finds itself in high demand

The sad ending we never expected to see

Renavoidance?