Brexit

As a Brit living in France, the referendum outcome is devastating. I embrace being part of a united Europe, but, clearly, there are fellow Brits, around half of them, who would prefer to retreat from unity and collaboration, supporting what I see as a giant step backwards, fraught with obstacles and difficulties. And without a plan. I simply cannot understand how this has happened. I seriously did not imagine that the 'leave' movement could ever gain the majority, as I genuinely cannot see one good reason for leaving. I know that it's far too soon to know how this will pan out, and we may yet remain in the EU, or something similar, but diluted, despite the referendum result... 

But, oh my goodness, what a shock!

If we do leave the EU, it could mean either selling up (but who will buy?) and returning to Britain (but why would I want to?), or going through a potentially complicated process to become French. Our British pensions, when we eventually receive them (the state pension age is forever retreating), will certainly not be index linked, so will be worth less and less every year. At least there is excellent health care in France! 

It will be much more expensive for our children to visit us, and vice versa...

Anyway, as I say, we will have to wait and see.

To take our minds off the EU referendum, here are some local views around and about our French home:

Farmer Joel's chickens don't care about the EU referendum result

Daisy and Doris don't care about the EU referendum result

The bees don't care about the EU referendum result

Suc Au May doesn't care about the EU referendum result




Nor does the wheat


Nor does Paul and Victor's summer camp

EU what?

Nope

Ew!

We didn't want these super slugs entering Britain!


My tomatoes are growing nicely!


My geraniums are enjoying French life

These two items of footwear have never heard of the EU, but they have a story to tell: a) I have given up Croc-mocking, as they are just so practical for French country life (although they're actually mock Crocs that cost 4 Euros from Super U); b) It is not sensible to mow wearing white Croc-flops (genuine); you should see my feet!

One little cloud amidst a great sky of blue shows its support for Boris

The third and tardy cherry tree decides to ripen its late blooms

My courgettes are slightly worried about the EU referendum result, as they had plans to visit Sainsbury's at Dagenham one day...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The tower finds itself in high demand

The sad ending we never expected to see

Renavoidance?