Earth, Wind and Paint

The cows at the bottom of the lower field are enjoying the rain!

Kevin and I, on the other hand, are enjoying the patisserie's delights!
Rain usually means working indoors. I set about filling some of the gaps on either side of the old beams in the sitting room. I thought I could get away with caulking the lot, but no. I had to resort to the rust-tinged end of bucket of pre-mixed filler for some of the wider yawns. I made a mess. But nothing a stiff wire brush won't tidy up when it's all dry.




The armoire designed to hide the fuse board is now painted and in place. It's a really useful place for coats and boots.

Mains gas is not available up our mountain, so our hob relies on bottled gas. Kevin's made these little harbours on either side of the cooker for the bottles, tucked behind the little dressers we've created.




We needed units to go on either side of the cooker, but they had to be 90cm tall and just 70cm wide. This proved to be a tall order. Last week, however, we found one of exactly the right size in a brocante store and painted it in the unimaginatively named  'Beige Mastic', and then for this one, we had to cut down a larger dresser and semi-create it; here it is being painted in 'Bleu Turquin', same as the famous shutters. My secret plan (secret even from me until yesterday...) is to paint the kitchen in colours of the seashore: pebbles, sand, sky and sea. After all, all I've ever wanted to be is 'by the sea'.

Ah, yes... the burst pipe wound. Dr Frankenstein would be proud of this repair job!

Bit of filler...
(I'm saying that in a Jamie Oliver voice)

Lovely jubbly...

(Don't worry... I'll rub it down when it's dry... You'll never know it was such a mess.) What am I doing about that ugly sticky out stopcock*, I hear you ask. Don't know yet- I may polish it up and make it a feature!

It's very windy here today. We've already lost three corrugated metal sheets from the medium/big barn roof. It makes us hesitate to go outdoors, in case one comes flying at us in decapitation mode. This roof is not ideal, I know. I also know that replacing it with a new tiled roof would be way too expensive, so we'll probably just replace the blown panels once the wind dies down.


And there are some tiles down at the back of cottage #1. Kevin's already been up on a very wobbly ladder to pin down the flapping roofing felt on the dormer. As he tried to position the ladder, the wind kept catching it and hurling it towards the bathroom window, but he eventually managed to prop it on the corner of the dormer. I held the ladder for him, but the operation had a 'touch and go by the skin of our teeth' feel about it.




* This stopcock will help us avoid further wet episodes. When the temperature drops below freezing, we simply drain the section of pipe to the outdoor tap. leave that tap in the on position, and turn off it's supply from here! I'll let you know how that goes, as it's going to be freezing hear again midweek, apparently.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The tower finds itself in high demand

The sad ending we never expected to see

Renavoidance?