Some Disappointing Surfaces and Some Nice Surprises

I spent a long time last summer painting the outside of cottage #1, and now look what the North wall has done to itself. All mossy and mouldy. Tut tut. I'm going to have to erect the scaffolding again, wire brush it (again), bleach it, and repaint it. I've still got so much to do for the first time, so I frown upon second times.


Our outdoor lights now work (apart from the one that is just hang-y wires on the North wall). I know you spotted it.


I find it quite cute that the PIR is imitating the whale-like beam's trusting smile. PIRs are a delight to test. We have, of course, spent time slowly approaching the house in the dark to see when the lights come on. So far, I've only noticed it come on once at night when it wasn't us. Probably a cat.


A whole pod of whales supports our roof. I might draw little eyes on them.

I spent a lot of time last week filling the gaps between the end beam and the wall and ceiling in the sitting room. I resorted to standard filler and caulk. It's now all filled and painted. Finishing touches. Our French neighbours asked us what colour we were going to paint the room, and when we told them we were sticking with the white, they were quite surprised. Feeling a little pressured to please the neighbours, I did buy some green paint, but I've decided to use that on some furniture...


Kevin filled one of the beam gaps with a carefully sculpted chunk of wood. I've now stained it so that it blends in.

Using the green paint...

Another sky

Kevin and I have received a Valentine's card from our bank. Isn't that sweet?! No, we don't have loads of money.


The second disappointing surface is the green-painted little table... I saw a brush hair lying victoriously across the middle of the oval after applying the second coat. This particular paint does not like to be touched after it's applied; it goes sticky very quickly. I patiently waited for the paint to dry, then, using a needle, I carefully teased up the hair and lifted it away... with a MASSIVE chunk of paint! I've rubbed it down and repainted, but there's still a little divot. Grrr!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The tower finds itself in high demand

The sad ending we never expected to see

Renavoidance?