Still Life Chez Nous

I've mentioned before that we have several large old walnut trees. They are quite imposing. At the moment, one of them in particular is waking us up at night. It's because of the reproduction thing. The leaves and blossoms of the walnut tree appear in May. The big fat male cylindrical catkins are developed from leafless shoots from the past year; they are about 4 inches long and sport a large number of little flowers. The female flowers are less conspicuous, and appear in a cluster at the peak of the current year’s leafy shoots. The fat catkins drop. Our caravan is currently situated under the biggest walnut tree in the world. When one of those catkins drops on the caravan roof at night, it actually sounds like we're being pelted with rocks. Yes, I know they look light and fluffy, but they have significant mass. I did a test. While Kevin stayed in the caravan, I tossed a couple onto the caravan roof to see if they really could produce such a loud thud. They did. I've tried to take a photo with a scale reference, but match boxes are all different sizes these days, so I included my size 6 plimsoll toes.


I'm back to black! The front door and kitchen window 'mongery' is now subject to the blacking process. As are the driveway and the chairs of many colours. This is my little work station. I was saved another confetti shower of curious insects and leaf bits this time, so three coats have been safely applied.


There was something compelling me to buy red geraniums; it just seems obligatory in France. I was taken aback to see that they cost 14 Euros per plant at Gamm Vert... but that was for the big bushy ones. I managed to get twenty little ones for 20 Euros. I've used up all of my decent pots and have scattered them artistically around the front of the house. They'll grow.


Speaking of 'artistic', I've discovered a plethora of still life studies in the cottage!

Electric Vines With Cat Litter

A Is For Architecture
 
Vines With Ladder

Door With Black Mongery

Dechetterie Destiny

Finding Faces That Show My Discontent*

Does A Door Need A Handle?
  
My Life In Paint

Thank you for viewing my gallery. Individual works are available to purchase for £1000 each. Any one of these 'pieces' would look great printed on a 4m x 3m canvas, don't you think? Soon to be seen at Tate Farm France...



* I suffered some mild discontent while waiting for Kevin's drill tip to emerge in the kitchen. The wall was 30 inches thick, and the drill bit was 38 inches long. Why did he only have 4 inches left on his side and nothing appearing on my side? Because he'd drilled downwards a bit and was emerging somewhere in the subterranean concrete beneath my feet. I waited for the tip to appear for about 40 minutes. When he gave up and came round to my side, the drilling journey outwards took just one minute. Pshhh!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The tower finds itself in high demand

The sad ending we never expected to see

Renavoidance?