The difference

A few weeks ago, our neighbours Brigitte and Alain invited us, and the local farmer, Joel, and his wife, Cat and their daughter, Marie, for 'apero dinatoire'. We'd visited for an 'aperitif' several times, but this was different. 

The aperitif visits consisted of drinks and a few nibbles, but this new experience was simply astounding! I didn't take photos, as I don't think it's right to snap away in a host's home, but the food served throughout the evening was similar to that shown in the photo below. But better, much better! 

The food was not presented buffet style as in England, but was introduced, plate by plate throughout the evening, along with a range of beverages. The dishes consisted of both warm and cold dishes, unveiled by our talented hostess and passed around. 


It was a taste of culinary heaven. And all the while, we chatted and laughed as we sat in soft comfort around a blazing log fire. Much of the talk was in French, which was great for me to help me learn, and there were several English speakers present to help translate for both me and Kevin.

I was also introduced to the bouffadou! I've never seen anything like it before, but it was highly effective at getting the fire roaring. Alain's is a hollowed out stick with a bit of a handle. I want one.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The tower finds itself in high demand

The sad ending we never expected to see

Renavoidance?