Shuttering Showcase

Shuttering is something I'd never heard of before we embarked upon this renovation adventure. Kevin managed to add this series of 'shutters' (is that what you call the planks when they're doing this particular job?) without having to drill into the substance of the existing wall through the thoughtful use of wood bits and screws. I didn't anticipate how impressed that would make me...



This particular bit of wood at the end of the channel is the bit we cut out to fit a wash basin into it. We never throw bits of wood away; you just never know when they'll come in handy.


I was slightly worried that the cement mixture would keep disappearing down the holes, but Kevin told me that that was the general idea, in order to make a firm fixing.


Kevin dumped the mixture in, and I (under strict instruction) vigorously trowelled it all down, particularly at the edges, to prevent big bubbles of nothingness where there should be somethingness. I then flattened and smoothed it all down. It's just like icing a cake, Kevin said, perhaps forgetting that I am a hopeless cake-icer. 




Kevin advised that I 'rough up' the end bit here, as it'd need to have a good connection to the next slathering.


That last section towards the corner was considered (by Kevin) to be too slim to warrant shuttering, so he just heaped on the mixture and shaped it. There is a slight (ok, significant) degree of undulation, but that'll be disguised by the crepi coating.


The blocks in the middle section of the re-levelling operation have been marked with chalk using the precise level decided upon by the laser (why can I still not say that word without adopting Dr Evil's air quotes and voice?). Kevin will attempt to chip away the unwanted bit. There might be swearing.


Okay! Here it is a day later... Not too bad, eh?



And as for the blocks that need skilful chipping? Well, you can make up your own mind about the success of that little mission...


That's not my finger or the shadow of my tombstone-shaped head; it's the early morning shadow of the chimney. So I couldn't move it.
As predicted, there was a little swearing, and the job's not finished yet, so there may be some more. I can't wait to get the crepi coating on so that we can forget our re-levelling trauma. However, we still need to finish building the walls towards the cottage. I'm just about to go out there with my spade to re-dig the foundation trenches, as nature has decided to move back in, bringing with it walnuts, stones and tumbleweed. And then I'll need to tackle that swimming pool hole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The tower finds itself in high demand

The sad ending we never expected to see

Renavoidance?