Dairy, Fruit and Vegetables

We've allowed Farmer Joel to unleash his cows on our lush grass in the lower fields. I can't mow those fields unless I give up everything else in my life, so the cows can do the job for me. We were lucky to witness the opening of the fence and the arrival of the cows and calves while we were picking pears. Farmer Joel led them with whistles and general cow-cajoling, and they eventually followed him to the gap.






I underestimated the size of receptacle for the pears. I had to empty the little basket I imagined might suffice into my laundry basket! We have several pear trees, but this one seems to have matured first. I'll be baking a lot of pear and apple products this Autumn. I've just failed at my first pear tarte tatin, however, by burning the caramel. Gutted.






I'm enjoying the Tom and Barbara Good Life! And still the massive walnut crop to come! Our weekly food shop bill is much reduced. I need to get the winter vegetable thing right. This will require concentration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The tower finds itself in high demand

The sad ending we never expected to see

Renavoidance?