Le Chien-Assis

Crises of confidence abound as it turns out that a three day window is not enough time in which to construct a dormer window, or a 'sitting dog' as the French call it. More like a sitting duck. The rains have arrived, and we have a tarpaulin tethered over the hole... and nine buckets to collect the drips/torrents.

It started with a flourish of super-confidence! Big bold hole!



The first sign of uncertainty, as a temporary acrow remains in place due to 'collapsing roof' fears. So many discussions about forces and angles and structures! And an ever growing collection of diagrams and calculations wall graffiti.




The third dog day dawns and Kevin finds renewed energy and hope as he clambers around the roof.


 Multiple belts and braces are put in place. This roof isn't going anywhere!


The frame begins to take shape...

When this cottage was originally built in the mid Eighteenth Century, they used a code to match joists to roof beams. It started with Roman numerals, and then, for some reason, various shapes/marks were used. I''d have been inclined, in my 18th Century mind, if I had one, to just continue with the Roman numerals. Maybe there was a debate about what came next, although they managed up to VI, so VII wouldn't have been too much of a gamble. Anyway, we've ruthlessly cut out III now. Look at the wooden pegs that hold the joint together. And look at the size of those woodworm holes! Don't worry, we've Xylophene-d the lot, so hopefully we won't be seeing any more of the wee beasties.




During this project, I am constantly reminded of my favourite childhood toys. I have never so clearly understood and appreciated the importance of Lego and Meccano, and all of those similar construction sets. I don't know why I'm surprised that the design and construction of real-life buildings, in many ways, draws on those same skills. Although the experience of dressing and undressing Tiny Tears proved useful when finding myself at home alone with a tiny human being, it wouldn't have prepared me for my current work. I'm pleased that my parents were forward-thinking and encouraged 'boy play'. 

I wonder what the following childhood activities have prepared me for...

  • tea parties with teddies
  • dot-to-dot
  • upended furniture and blanket camps
  • roller skating
  • plasticine modelling
  • Scalextric
  • playing all of the above with my invisible friends, Doe and Dee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The tower finds itself in high demand

The sad ending we never expected to see

Renavoidance?