Breaking Back

Oh yes, it's all been very comfortable for me with two men on site... I've been occupied with painting, mowing, cooking. But NOW... the back breaking work is back on! I have a field of rocks to pick up and trundle. I haven't got all that far today, because the more I rake, the more rocks appear. And it's hot again. And as if that wasn't bad enough, I met a new species of fly that won't die. It's biggish, brownish, and insanely persistent... even after I'd stomped back to the caravan to apply Michelle's maximum deet insect repellent, it kept coming at me, determined to bite me. It did bite me once, and I smacked it off about twenty other times. It didn't squish. It hit the ground, then rallied. I eventually, forced it onto the edge of my shorts leg. I think the deet was too much for it. I rolled it in the fabric, while squeezing hard. It lived. I decided to go for the nail body slice, and even though it was as tough as a cashew nut, I think it died. Why does it possess such mass and resilience? Was it a small drone? Does it have friends? 



Nothing but blue sky. I think my camera's on the blink. The sides are leaning inwards. The end wall on cottage #1 actually leans out the other way!

Before picking up stones, I filled in the gap around the fosse with sand, then earth. That was really hard work, as a lot of the earth at the side had been compacted due to the digger going over it again and again. Nevertheless, I managed to scrape it up and chuck it in. The idea is to keep stones away from the fosse, but I'm afraid that proved to be impossible. I don't have a garden sieve. As you can see, I'm short of earth. How can that happen? We need to purchase two 'collars' to go around each of the portholes in order to bring them to ground level... when I eventually reach ground level!

 The field of stones.


Kevin managed to break through the two feet thick wall today to insert the sink waste pipe. And you'll be glad to hear that the grease trap is no longer leaking!

Not exactly a 'des-res' yet... but the toilet does function. That little red box to the left contains bacteria cultures. We must flush one sachet down the loo each week to maintain a healthy fosse.

Some of my collected stones have gone into the future car hardstand area as hardcore. The bit of trench gravel I collected also ended up there.

Kevin has attached a grille over the little barred window to the cellar. We don't want to encourage loir (glis glis). They used to be the main residents of cottage #1.

No thank you. You can go elsewhere.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The tower finds itself in high demand

The sad ending we never expected to see

Renavoidance?